Sunday 14 December 2014

Cake icing day

This morning H and I went out on our bikes. He rode his mountain and I was on my road bike. It was freezing cold and all the puddles along the roadside were coverd in ice. We did 27 miles but it was slow and I did not get out of breath once. The wind was bitter and we were glad to get back. After a lunch of salmon sandwiches I iced my Christmas cake. For the last 3 years I have used shop bought smooth icing but although you can make it look good it doesn't taste as good as my home made icing. I used the White of 1 egg and some lemon juice. I didn't have a fresh lemon so I just used a few squirts of 'jiff'. Separate the egg and put the yolk to one side add the lemon and sift in icing sugar using enough to make your icing the consistency you want. Job done!  I know this years cake doesn't look as good as my earlier ones but at least we will eat the icing,not like last year when we all peeled it off. Do not waste the yolk, use it to make a batch of melting moments, I topped mine with walnuts and glasse cherries.

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy nanny, can't wait for a slice at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete