Sunday 29 January 2017

Sunday.

I got up at 7 and put on a load of washing. H was already up and had made a pot of tea, had his breakfast, stacked the dishwasher, washed up the big things and taken my bike out of the garage. He was going to ride on his turbo and I was going to do an 'off road ' ride with our son. However when he got up at 9.15 he didn't look too good and thinks he might have the flu.! He went back to bed and I cooked his breakfast and took it up to him on a tray. He has stayed in bed all day so I made soup for lunch, took that up, a cup of tea and dinner. Dinner was nice, roast pork, roast and mashed potatoes, roast sweet potato, brócoli, carrots, cabbage, crackling and gravy.we had sliced pineapple for pud. .....
When I was about 8 years old my parents took us all to see a flea circus at Great Yarmouth. I was fascinated by it, all the little fleas wore skirts made of red net and feathers. Some were pulling minute chariots with another riding inside some were walking a tightrope, pushing pram's, riding on scooters etc. By the time we arrived back home I had made up my mind that I would train something and have a circus. I didn't know how to get hold of any fleas and anyway I didn't fancy them because the ' ringmaster ' showed us his arm where he fed his fleas and I didn't like the look of all those bites. It was mid summer and one of the fields beside our house was a corn field ( oats ) it was harvest time so I decided I would train mice. Harvest mice are easy to catch, I would simply pick them up by their tails and pop them into my little tin. Some of them would swing themselves up and grab my finger with their teeth and they sure did hurt! I decided I would have 8 I thought any more would make it difficult to train them. Anyway I only managed to catch 7 so I thought the odd one could be a clown. The next day I collected several ears of oats and gave them their breakfast then mum said we were going to the City for some of our school things for the start of next term so training was out for that day. The next day mum said we were all going to Wensum park and a swim in the river so no training again. I had hidden my mouse 🐭 tin under my bed and although all seven were fine there was an unbelievably strong smell coming from my bedroom that I could smell before I had got to the top of the stairs, it never entered my head that anyone else would smell it. Well next day my friend asked if I wanted to go to hers to play, yes. When I got home I went up with my corn only to find all my mice had gone, the tin was still under the bed and the lid was still on. It took me years to realise my mother  must have taken them down and let them out. I couldn't ask where they went because I had not told anyone I had them.

No comments:

Post a Comment