Friday 10 March 2017

Friday

Today was not as warm and sunny as yesterday but it was still nice. After I had eaten breakfast and hung out my washing I did all the ironing up to date. I did a bit of the dreaded housework and then H and I changed and went out on our mountain bikes. We went along the track to Whitwell but it was pretty muddy so we came back along the road. When we got back we had soup for lunch and then watched a cycle race on tv. As soon as it w as over I had a bath and cooked dinner, breaded cod, mushrooms, potato wedges and beans with Christmas pudding and custard for pudding. Tomorrow H is going for a bike ride with our son in law. They plan to ride about 60 miles!!
A bit about me ...... I left school on the 23 rd of December, I was just 15 and I started work on the 4 th of January at Jarrolds printing works. I started off on the sewing machines and was in that department for around 6 years then moved to a more interesting department where I learned several different machines. My first weeks wages were £1.12.6 which in new money is about £1.57. For that I had to work from 8 am to 6.15 pm with an hour off for dinner and 8 to 12 on Saturdays. I was made to give my mum the 12.6 and save ten shillings which left me with ten shillings ( 50p ) to buy all my own clothing, bus fares union subs etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment