Friday 19 May 2017

Friday

 We both got up at 6.30 and had toast and tea for breakfast. I put on a load of washing but it was pouring with rain so I didn't hang it out. We had a coffee and as it was so wet H rode a 25 mile race on his turbo trainer, he also rode 10 miles as a warm up! When he had finished and showered we went to our butchers so I could restock our freezer. I bought pies, pasties, lasagna, chops, burgers, sausages,mince, bacon, a joint of beef, chicken breasts, gammon steaks and sirloin steaks. For our lunch I bought a little pork and Stilton pie each and a cheese straw. I got a few pennies change out of £90!! At least my freezer is nice and full. We had a pork chop for dinner tonight with potatoes, green beans, brócoli and asparagus, it was nice.
When I was a little girl I used to stay with my nanny a lot in each school holiday and she lived next door to the village post office and general store. ( I think my mum was glad to get rid of me so my brothers had some peace). The post mistress was a lovely lady called mrs Elsey. ( Betty) she would let me help her in the shop and I loved it. There were huge cheese's,red and white which were on a marble slab with a wire fixed to the wall that had a wooden toggle type handle and I was allowed to slice off cheese, I loved the feel of that wire slicing through the cheese and the smell. Also, their sugar came in half hundredweight sacks and I used to weigh it up into blue paper bags in pounds and half pounds. You didn't get much sugar in a half pound bag but the war was on and it was rationed. This morning my boss rang to say he has had so much rain that he won't want me on Monday so could I go Wednesday instead!!

No comments:

Post a Comment